It only takes five minutes to make this easy banana smoothie recipe. Jump to the Banana Smoothie Recipe now or read on to see how we make it.
This is perfect for breakfast, an afternoon snack or for serving kids. You can even make this ahead of time, freeze it and save for later. So easy!
How to Make a Banana Smoothie — You Only Need Five Ingredients
A whole banana is used for this – try to use one that’s sweet and ripe. An unripe banana will taste chalky. Then, we add half of an orange, a little yogurt, and water or milk (dairy or non-dairy). Simply add everything into a blender, blend until smooth and enjoy.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: With 6 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber, this utterly delicious strawberry banana smoothie will keep you full and energized for your day. See the Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
Easily Customize with More Fruit and Vegetables
Our banana smoothie recipe is perfect as is, but you could always throw in more fruit or even vegetables. Try adding strawberries, raspberries, mango or pineapple.
Or, add some greens. Add about a cup of fresh baby spinach or kale and make your own Green Smoothie Recipe. You hardly taste the greens, but you get the extra nutrients.
You could even go tropical and switch out water or milk for coconut milk or pineapple juice. The options are endless.
Did you like our Simple Banana Smoothie Recipe? If so, we bet you’ll love these:
- Quick and Easy Green Smoothie Recipe from Inspired Taste
- Easy Blueberry Muffin Recipe from Inspired Taste
- Easy Banana Bread Recipe from Inspired Taste
Recipe updated, originally posted January 2013. Since posting this in 2013, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear and added a quick recipe video. – Adam and Joanne
Easy 5-Minute Banana Smoothie Recipe
Our banana smoothie is extra creamy and fruity. Depending on how ripe or sweet your banana and orange are, you may need to add a little extra honey, so add based on your taste. There are many additions you can make here, try adding 1/2 a cup to a cup of fresh greens, such as spinach for a green smoothie. Also, you could add 1/2 a cup of strawberries, mango, frozen berries, pineapple, or other favorite fruit.
You Will Need
1/2 orange, peeled and quartered
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup water or milk (dairy or non-dairy)
1 to 2 teaspoons honey, optional
Roughly chop banana and orange quarters then add to a blender. Top with yogurt and the water (or milk).
Turn blender on and blend until creamy and smooth. Taste then adjust with honey if needed.
Adam and Joanne's Tips
- How to Freeze or Make Ahead: This recipe makes one smoothie or two kid-size smoothies. Enjoy now, or save for later. To save the smoothie for later, pour each serving into a food-safe resealable plastic bag or container and freeze. Then, about an hour before needing the smoothie, take out from freezer.
- Non-Dairy alternatives: If you are looking for a banana smoothie without yogurt, then simply leave the yogurt out of the recipe above and replace with more banana, a tablespoon or so of nut butter, mango, or a tablespoon of hemp seeds (great protein source). You may need to add additional water or non-dairy milk to thin the smoothie out a little.
- Nutrition facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA Supertracker recipe calculator to calculate approximate values.