How to make oven baked trout in foil packets. Jump to the Easy Oven Baked Trout Recipe or read on to see our tips.
Baking trout in the oven is genius — especially when you do it in foil packets.
With our recipe, dinner will be on the table in 20 minutes. You can’t beat that.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Oven Baked Salmon with Lemon is a simple recipe. Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper and bake on top of lemon slices and fresh dill.
How to Make Oven Baked Trout in 20 Minutes
It’s easy to find trout that is already boned and butterflied. By butterflied I mean that the fish is opened up down the middle, but still has the halves attached.
Buying the trout butterflied allows us to add a few fresh ingredients to the middle. In our recipe below, we add lemon slices and fresh herbs. You can also add thinly sliced garlic, onion, or greens (like spinach).
For the packets, we use heavy duty foil. Parchment paper works, too.
The trout bakes in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Then when you’re ready to serve, you can slide the trout onto a plate and drizzle any juices leftover from cooking over the fish.
Recipe updated, originally posted October 2009. Since posting this in 2009, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear. – Adam and Joanne
- Olive oil
- 2 small rainbow trout, boned and butterflied (opened up with the halves still attached)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 4 fresh parsley or dill sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven and oil two sheets of foil. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil that are larger than your fish.
- Season the trout. Place trout, skin side down, on each piece of foil. Lightly oil both sides with oil. Season both sides, inside and out, with salt and pepper. Place two parsley (or dill) sprigs and two lemon slices down the middle of each fish.
- Fold the packets of fish. Fold up the foil by grabbing at the edges and crimping together to make a packet.
- Bake the trout. Place packets of fish onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, checking one packet after 10 minutes. The flesh should pull apart easily with a fork.
- Serve. Place each packet on a plate. Carefully open the foil packets -- take care not to let the steam burn you. Slide the fish away from the packet and onto the plate and pour juices over it. Serve with more fresh herbs and lemon slices.
How to Make Grilled Trout: Follow the directions in the recipe above to make each packet. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Place the packets over indirect heat. Grill 10 to 15 minutes, or until cooked through.