Our tasty and moist bran muffin recipe is packed with wheat bran, plump raisins and applesauce. We’ll bake these on a weekend and enjoy them throughout the week for breakfast. They’re easy to make, too! Just 15 minutes of work and you have breakfast for days!
How We Make Our Moist and Flavorful Bran Muffin Recipe
There’s no fancy equipment necessary for these, you only need a few bowls and a hand mixer. To make our bran muffins, we beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Then, in go a few eggs and lots of flavor from vanilla extract, rich molasses and applesauce.
Next, we combine flour with warm cinnamon, bright orange zest and a little salt. Then, we put everything together, adding some buttermilk for flavor and moisture. Finally, we stir in lots of wheat bran and plump raisins. Into the oven they go and 15 minutes later you’ll have a moist and flavorful bran muffin! Easy.
Did you like our Bran Muffin Recipe? If so, we bet you’ll love these:
- Our Favorite Blueberry Muffin Recipe from Inspired Taste
- Bran Muffin Recipe from Farmgirl Fare
- Strawberry Yogurt Muffin Recipe from Inspired Taste
- Nancy Silverton’s Bran Muffins from David Lebovitz
- Banana Chip Muffins from Inspired Taste
- 1 1/2 cups (80 grams) wheat bran
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (70 grams) raisins
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup (205 grams) light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses (we use Blackstrap Unsulphured Molasses)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (170 ml) buttermilk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 18 regular-size muffin cups with paper liners.
- Add wheat bran to a medium bowl then pour in half (1/3 cup) of the hot water. Stir until moistened then set aside. Add the remaining water to another bowl then add the raisins, set aside.
- Add butter and sugar to a large bowl then use a hand mixer to beat until creamy and light. Add one egg at a time, beating after each egg until combined. Add molasses, vanilla extract and apple sauce then beat until combined.
- In another large bowl, use a whisk to combine the flour, cinnamon, orange zest, salt, baking soda and the baking powder.
- Now, add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture then use a hand mixer to beat until combined. Add half of the buttermilk then beat until combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and buttermilk, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Drain raisins and gently squeeze dry. Then, stir the raisins and wheat bran into the muffin batter. Divide batter between muffin cups.
- Then bake 15 to 18 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted into the middle and come out clean.