Not overly sweet or too tart, our cosmopolitan cocktail recipe is perfect to shake up for one or even prepare in advance for a crowd. Jump to the Cosmopolitan Cocktail recipe now or read on to see how we make it.
While there are many variations, ours comes from what we (and most of our friends) keep stocked in our pantry.
Good vodka, triple sec (although you could use Cointreau) and fresh lime. A twist of sweet fragrant orange peel and you’re set.
You May Also Like This: How to make one of our favorite cocktails: The Old Fashioned. See our recipe and tips for making the best Old Fashioned at home.
What You Need to Know – Cosmopolitan Cocktail Recipe
When choosing the vodka, go for something mid to high range. We’ll usually stock Stolichnaya or “Stoli,” but use what you know you enjoy. The other thing to remember, here is to use fresh lime juice – not the bottled stuff. We realize it’s a little more work, but the taste is so much better.
Lastly, we love adding a little orange peel to this. Sure, it may look like an unnecessary garnish, but if you do it right, it’s adds a little sweetness and as you go into to take a sip of the cosmopolitan cocktail, you’ll get orange essence, which hides the strength and scent of the vodka.
When you add the orange peel, peel it over the drink. This way, any oils that spray out from the orange, fall into the drink. Rubbing the edges of the glass doesn’t hurt either.
It’s such a fresh, bright and happy drink. Don’t you think?
Did you like our cosmopolitan cocktail recipe? If so, you may also like these:
- Ginger Cosmopolitan Cocktail Recipe from Inspired Taste
- Champagne Cosmopolitan Recipe from Inspired Taste
Recipe updated, originally posted December 2012. Since posting this in 2012, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear and added a quick recipe video. – Adam and Joanne
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) vodka
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) triple sec
- 3/4 ounce (1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons) cranberry juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 ounce (1 1/2 teaspoons to 3 teaspoons) fresh lime juice
- 1 2-inch orange peel/twist
- 8 ounces (1 cup) vodka
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) triple sec
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) cranberry juice
- 1 to 2 ounces (2 tablespoons to 4 tablespoons) fresh lime juice
- 4 2-inch orange peels/twists
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice then add vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice and lime juice. (We like the extra bite of extra lime juice, so we use 1/2 an ounce in our cosmopolitan cocktails. However, use what is best for your taste).
- Shake the cocktail shaker for about 30 seconds until well chilled. Then, strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with orange peel/twist. For an extra burst of flavor, peel the orange twist over the filled cocktail glass. This way, the orange oils spray into the glass.
- Add vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice and the lime juice to a pitcher then stir. Refrigerate. When ready to serve, pour into four martini glasses and garnish with orange peel/twist.