Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce
Our homemade honey mustard sauce is quick, easy, and calls on simple pantry staples. You can make this delicious and creamy sauce in five minutes or less. Jump to the Honey Mustard Sauce Recipe
Making the Best Homemade Honey Mustard
This recipe is for a creamy honey mustard sauce that is perfect for dipping. If you’d like a recipe for our honey mustard dressing, head to this easy recipe.
Mayonnaise + Sour Cream: I love combining mayo and sour cream. The mayonnaise is creamy and rich, while the sour cream lightens things a bit. We do this when making our favorite potato salad dressing. If you don’t have both, you can still make the sauce and use what you have.
Honey: You can’t have honey mustard sauce without honey. Depending on the brand you’ve purchased, it might taste more sweet or floral than others. You may need to adjust how much honey is in the sauce to get the flavor right.
Mustard: For the best honey mustard sauce, use both yellow mustard (American-style) and Dijon mustard. Yellow mustard has quite a bit of vinegar, which works wonders for the sauce’s flavor. Dijon mustard is sharply flavored and has all the punchy mustard spice we need.
Vinegar or Lemon Juice: Creamy sauces improve with a little extra acid. In this case, we love distilled vinegar or lemon juice.
To make the sauce, add everything into a bowl and stir until blended. Easy!
Storing the Sauce
Store homemade honey mustard sauce in a jar or food-safe container with a lid, then refrigerate for up to two weeks. We have not tried to freeze this sauce.
Ways to Use this Sauce
Use this sauce as a dip or dressing. Here are a few of our favorite ways to use it:
- Dip for chicken nuggets, popcorn chicken, or homemade fish sticks.
- Sauce for spooning over baked pork chops, grilled chicken breasts, or roasted potatoes.
- Thin the sauce slightly with a little extra lemon juice, and then use as a salad dressing! Or, for a vinaigrette-style dressing, try our honey mustard dressing made with olive oil.
More Homemade Sauces
- Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Creamy Ranch Dressing
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Best Blue Cheese Dressing
- Our Favorite Caesar Salad Dressing
Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce
Our homemade honey mustard sauce is quick and easy and calls on simple pantry staples. You can make this delicious sauce in five minutes or less. We love the combination of mayonnaise and sour cream. The mayo is rich, and the sour cream lightens the flavors of the honey mustard. If you do not have both, use what you have. This sauce is still quite delicious when made with just mayonnaise only and even when made with just sour cream.
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Need
2 tablespoons mayonnaise, try homemade mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or distilled white vinegar
Stir all of the ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended. Taste, and then adjust with additional honey or mustard depending on preference.
Store in a jar or air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Adam and Joanne's Tips
- Mustard: For the best honey mustard sauce, use both yellow mustard (American-style) and Dijon mustard. Yellow mustard has quite a bit of vinegar, which works wonders for the sauce’s flavor. Dijon mustard is sharply flavored and has all the punchy mustard spice we need. If you only have one type, that’s okay; use it. The sauce will still taste great.
- Nutrition facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.