Cauliflower is so versatile, a lot of us like it, it’s packed with vitamin C and K, but are you buying and cutting it the best way?
How to Buy Cauliflower
When shopping for cauliflower, you want to look for creamy white, compact clusters of florets and give cauliflower that is spotted or dull-colored a pass. You can buy cauliflower florets already prepared and in sealed bags. While this can help with prep time, they can spoil a bit quicker than a whole head of cauliflower, so eat/cook those soon after buying.
How to Cut Cauliflower
First up, pull off any green leaves.
Then, flip the cauliflower so the stem is facing up towards you. Find a knife and cut around the core of the cauliflower.
As you cut around the core, you’ll find that bunches of florets come away and fall down onto the cutting board.
Now, all you need to do is make the florets similar in size. The size you want depends entirely on you and how you plan to eat/cook it. To break the florets apart, either pull apart with your fingers or cut through the stems of florets with the knife to make them the size you want.
Ways to Cook Cauliflower
So many ideas!
- Eat it raw, just dunk in some tasty blue cheese dip or you’re favorite veggie dip.
- Make a creamy soup. Cook some onions, carrots, garlic and cauliflower in olive oil add a few herbs, and then blend till smooth. Add a splash of cream at the end and you have one amazing soup!
- Cook cauliflower florets in a pan with some butter or olive oil until tender, add a little garlic and enjoy with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top.
- Roasted Cauliflower! Heat the oven to 400 degrees F then roast for 30-40 minutes until gold brown around the edges. The cauliflower takes on a nutty flavor and is just delicious.
- Steam it then top with a little butter and some fresh herbs.
Can I Eat the Stem of a Cauliflower?
Yes! Cauliflower stems (and leaves) are totally edible. Try adding them to stocks, soups or even grating and using for coleslaw or salads. To prepare, we usually peel the outer “skin” of the stem and discard since that can be a bit tough, but after that, everything is completely tasty!