– Sponsored Post –
Sometimes, for whatever reason, we crave a meal with as many vegetables as we can possibly fit. It will happen if we feel a cold coming on, when the weather becomes chilly or in this case, right after a day of airports, planes and traveling. This time, the answer to our cravings was a simple curried carrot soup.
We love soups like this to be hearty, thick and satisfying. So, we also added a bunch of potatoes, celery and apples. The apples work beautifully with the carrots.
How to Make Our Curried Apple, Potato and Carrot Soup Recipe
Making this carrot soup is simple. Throw lots of carrots, celery, apples and potatoes into a big pot with some olive oil. Cook them until slightly softened then add curry powder, which is a spice blend used in Indian cooking made from spices such as coriander, mustard seeds, cumin and more. It adds sweet, spice, smoke and earthiness. Just lovely.
After adding chicken stock and simmering away until the vegetables have softened. We use an immersion blender to puree the soup until creamy.
Then, since we were so good adding all those vegetables, we decided to splurge a bit on a little half and half to make the soup extra velvety and creamy.
By the way, we enjoyed our carrot soup with warm flaky biscuits from Pillsbury. Pillsbury asked and paid us to create a recipe that would be perfect to serve with biscuits.
We thought this carrot soup recipe would be perfect. You could always warm up some bread, too. But the flaky buttermilk biscuits really worked!
Did you enjoy this Curried Apple, Potato and Carrot Soup Recipe? If so, you may also enjoy these:
- Creamy Vegetable Soup from Inspired Taste
- Roasted Carrot Soup from Food 52
- Sausage and Kale Soup from Inspired Taste
- 8 oz peeled and chopped carrots (4 medium)
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb potatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Indian curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- chopped dill, optional
- 4 Biscuits or Bread Rolls (We like Pillsbury Grands! Frozen Biscuits)
- Heat 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil then add carrots, apples, celery and the potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables and apples begin to sweat.
- Stir in curry powder, red pepper flakes and the salt. Cook 2 minutes, and then add coconut milk and chicken stock. Simmer soup for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until creamy. Remove from heat then add half-and-half and lime juice. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Divide soup among 4 bowls then top with 1 tablespoon of yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh chopped dill. Serve with warm biscuits or bread rolls.