Thanks to ground pork, these come together fast. You can even make the filling in advance. Jump to the Crave-Worthy Ground Pork Tacos Recipe or read on to see our tips for making it.
It’s no secret that we love tacos around here. We’ve made them with shrimp, beef, roasted veggies and most recently, shredded chicken. Even though we’ve shared a bunch of taco recipes with you, we’ve always missed pork! Well, thanks to these crave-worthy tacos, that’s been remedied and you know what, they just might be my current favorite.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Our Ultimate Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe. Make pulled pork that’s tender, full of flavor, and juicy. It’s delicious served alone or is perfect for sandwiches, salads and tacos.
How to Make Crave-Worthy Tacos with Ground Pork in Under 30 Minutes
These are simple: brown the pork in a skillet then toss with taco seasoning and a little water. The way we make these seriously good is by using our own taco seasoning mix. Scroll down and I’ll tell you all about it.
Our homemade blend tastes much better than anything you can buy at the store. Most ingredients are likely already sitting in your spice cabinet.
Here’s the spices you will need:
- Chili powder — We recommend our homemade chili powder. Your favorite store-bought chili powder works, too.
- Ground cumin — This adds an earthy, smoky flavor. It is common in Tex-Mex, Mexican, and curry recipes.
- Hot smoked paprika — This adds a hot, smoky flavor. Chipotle chile powder is a great alternative.
- Ground coriander — This adds a light, citrus flavor.
- Cayenne pepper — This adds heat. Add as much or little as needed for your desired spice level.
You could stop there and the tacos will be absolutely delicious (promise). If however, you want to really knock these tacos out of the park, add mushroom powder. I know it sounds odd, but trust me, it adds a savory, meaty flavor to the party. Mushrooms naturally add umami. Which is why we include the mushroom powder in our blend. It makes it taste incredible. You can read all about it in our taco seasoning recipe — we even share how to make it.
If you don’t have the time for making your own spice blend, don’t worry! You can use store-bought mixes for these tacos.
For more easy taco recipes, take a look at our Shredded Chicken Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce (the sauce is so good), these Chile Butter Shrimp Tacos with a red cabbage slaw, our Shredded Beef Tacos (made in the slow cooker) or these Roasted Veggie Tacos (100% vegetarian, 100% delicious).
Crave-Worthy Ground Pork Tacos Recipe
Thanks to ground pork, these tacos come together fast. We highly recommend making your own taco seasoning with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander and cayenne pepper. In our taco seasoning recipe we also add a secret ingredient. Head over to the recipe to see what it is. If you’re using store-bought taco mix, watch out for adding too much salt. Often the store-bought packages already have salt added so you should not need to add any additional salt.
You Will NeedFor the Tacos
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pound ground pork
1 to 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, see our homemade taco seasoning
1/4 cup water or more as needed
Salt to taste
8 (6-inch) tortillasOptional Toppings
Shredded cabbage, see notes
1 large avocado, pitted and mashed
2 tablespoons sour cream, see notes
Pickled onions, see our pickled onions recipe
Pico de gallo, see our pico de gallo recipe
Tomatillo salsa, see our roasted tomatillo salsa recipe
- Prepare Pork
- Assemble Tacos
Heat a wide skillet over medium heat then add the oil. When the oil is hot, press the pork down into the pan, spreading it out as thin as you can so that it browns evenly on one side, about 5 minutes. When it begins to brown on one side, use a wooden spoon to break the pork up into small crumbles. Continue to cook until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes.
Toss 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning with the pork. Taste a small crumble to see if it needs more seasoning and adjust from there — when using our homemade taco seasoning mix, we use 2 tablespoons. Stir in the water and let it come to a simmer. The mixture will thicken and coat the pork. Season with a pinch or two of salt (if you are using packaged seasoning, it may already have salt added).
Wrap tortillas, in two stacks, with aluminum foil. Place into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Fill each warmed tortilla with pork and your favorite toppings. We particularly love these with mashed avocado spread onto the bottom of each tortilla then topped with pork, cabbage, pickled onions and sour cream.
Adam and Joanne's Tips
- Cabbage: Raw shredded cabbage is a great option, but for more flavor, try our Mayo-Free Cilantro Lime Coleslaw. Salting the cabbage before adding the dressing keeps this coleslaw salad crunchy and brings out so much more flavor than without. The dressing is simple — lime, honey and olive oil.
- Making thinned sour cream: So it can be drizzled, stir 2 tablespoons of sour cream with a teaspoon or two of water (or lime juice).
- Make-ahead: The pork can be made up to 3 days in advance when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat the pork before serving — you may find adding a tablespoon or two of additional water helps to moisten the pork.
- Nutrition Facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA Supertracker recipe calculator to calculate approximate values. We included 1 avocado, 1 cup of cabbage, 2 tablespoons of sour cream, and corn tortillas in the calculations. The ground pork calculated was about 20% fat. Choosing a leaner option — such as ground tenderloin — would reduce the fat and calories.