Packed with scrambled eggs, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and feta cheese, these healthier breakfast burritos are the perfect hand-held breakfast. These can be made ahead of time and can be kept in the freezer for a quick breakfast another day. Jump to the Breakfast Burrito Recipe or read on to see how we make it.
15 Minute Breakfast Burritos
These easy burritos are inspired by the spinach and feta wraps sold at Starbucks. They are loaded with protein and taste incredible thanks to flavorful sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and feta.
In the Starbucks version, only egg whites are used, while in our recipe you’ll see that we call for whole eggs. This is a personal choice and you can absolutely make an egg white only burrito if you’d prefer.
Until these burritos, sun-dried tomatoes were not really something we cooked with. I’m not sure why, but they just hadn’t made it into our repitoire.
When working on this breakfast burrito, we experimented with fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes, but found that they made the tortilla soggy, especially if we planned to make them ahead of time. After some more experimentation, we discovered that sun dried tomatoes are the perfect addition to these burritos. They are full of flavor and don’t turn the tortilla into a soggy mess!
You only need about 15 minutes to make the burritos. Here’s the basic process:
- Warm sliced sun-dried tomatoes in a non-stick skillet.
- Pour in beaten eggs and scramble them — here’s our in-depth tutorial for making the best scrambled eggs.
- Just as the eggs are finishing cooking, stir in baby or torn spinach leaves so that they wilt into the eggs.
- Divide the egg between large tortillas, add feta cheese, and roll up.
- [Optional] Toast the filled breakfast burritos in a dry pan.
How to Roll a Burrito
The first time I made burritos at home, I needed to google how to fold them so that they don’t fall apart on the first bite ? Here’s what seems to work best:
- Lay the tortilla — we like 9-inch tortillas or larger — down onto a flat work surface.
- Spoon the burrito filling down the center of the tortilla, lengthwise. Leave 3 to 4 inches of space around the edges.
- Fold the sides of the tortillas over the filling, and then tightly roll the end closest to you up and around the filling, pushing any bits that fall out back into the middle of the burrito.
- Place seam-side down and enjoy, wrap with foil if you plan to freeze them or if you are eating them straight away, transfer to a warm skillet to toast the outside of the tortilla (my favorite).
For homemade tortillas, we highly recommend that you take a look at our favorite soft flour tortillas recipe!
Make Ahead Tips
These breakfast burritos are perfect for making ahead and can be refrigerated or frozen.
- To refrigerate, wrap tightly and store in the fridge up to 3 days.
- To freeze, wrap tightly with foil and freeze up 3 months.
To reheat the burritos, place them into a 350 degrees F oven for about 15 minutes or longer until warmed all the way through. For a crisp exterior, toast the reheated burritos in a dry skillet over medium heat on all sides.
A quicker option is to use a microwave. Unwrap the burritos, place onto a plate, and cover with a paper towel or clean dish cloth. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. This will cause the tortillas to soften a bit more than when reheated in the oven. When the burritos are warmed throughout, add them to a dry pan over medium heat to revive the tortilla and add a crispy exterior.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Breakfast Tacos with Potatoes and Peppers — ultra-satisfying breakfast tacos with shredded potatoes, peppers, and onions.
- Make Ahead Ham and Veggie Breakfast Sandwiches — How to make tasty and satisfying breakfast sandwiches with veggies that can be kept in your refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Breakfast Enchiladas with Ham and Peppers — easy breakfast enchiladas with ham and peppers (or your favorite veggies or breakfast meats).
- Smashed Avocado Toast with Egg — Thanks to a hard-boiled egg, flaky salt, lemon, and pepper, it is healthy, protein-packed, delicious, and has significant sticking power!
- Easy 5-Minute Banana Smoothie — My go-to banana smoothie! You need less than five minutes to make this easy banana smoothie.
Spinach Feta Breakfast Burritos
Packed with scrambled eggs, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and feta cheese, these healthier breakfast burritos are the perfect hand-held breakfast. These can be made ahead of time and can be kept in the freezer for a quick breakfast another day.
You Will Need
2 teaspoons olive oil or butter
1/4 cup (70 grams) sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained and chopped
1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves
4 large eggs, see notes for substituting egg white
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese
2 large flour tortillas (8-inches or larger in diameter)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Make Filling
1Warm oil or melt the butter in a medium non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and cook until warmed through and fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2Crack eggs into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and whisk until well blended.
3Pour the eggs into the skillet and immediately use a silicone spatula to swirl in small circles around the pan, without stopping, until the eggs look slightly thickened and very small curds begin to form, about 30 seconds.
4Add the spinach leaves, and then change from making circles to making long sweeps across the pan until you see larger, creamy curds and the spinach starts to turn bright green and wilts; about 20 seconds.
5When the eggs are softly set and slightly runny in places, remove the pan from the heat and leave for a few seconds to finish cooking. Give a final stir and assemble burritos.
- Assemble Burritos
1Place tortillas down onto a flat work surface. Spoon half of the egg and spinach mixture down the center of each tortilla. Divide the cheese between each burrito and scatter it on top of the egg.
2Fold the sides of the tortillas over the filling, and then tightly roll the end closest to you up and around the filling, pushing any bits that fall out back into the middle of the burrito. Place the burrito seam-side down.
- Make Ahead Burritos
1Wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days or tightly wrap each burrito individually in foil, and then place into a resealable freezer bag or container. Freeze up to 3 months.
2To reheat frozen burritos, unwrap the burrito, place onto a microwavable plate, cover with a paper towel and microwave for one minute, flip and microwave another 1 to 2 minutes or until the center is hot. Enjoy immediately or add a crunchy exterior by following the directions for toasted burritos below.
- Toasted Burritos
1Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Place burritos seam-side down into the hot pan and toast until the underside is lightly browned and crisp, 20 to 60 seconds. Rotate the burrito and repeat on all sides.
Adam and Joanne's Tips
- Use eggs whites only: Use 6 egg whites or a generous 1/2 cup of egg whites. Using egg whites reduces the calories per burrito to 307 and the total fat to 13.6g.
- Nutrition facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #inspiredtaste — We love to see your creations on Instagram and Facebook! Find us: @inspiredtaste
it was pretty good i loved the eggs but I think it needed a lot more seasoning but good recipe overall
I can’t wait to see what recipes, I love to cook.I won’t ask what you have , Baking is my passion. Thank you, Debbie
Delicious and super quick and easy. My husband loved them.
My husband just loved these burritos. Thanks for the recipe. I found you about 3 weeks ago, I made your awesome, incredible, super, absolute delicious blueberry muffins. I love the tip about 1-2 tablespoons of water in each cup for uniform baking. Yahoo! I always make a double batch because “8 is not enough!” In this time, I have baked those yummy muffins 5 times. My husband’s co-workers scream and yell for them. One day he forgot the 2 containers with 24 of them. He called me at his break and said: “Come right away and bring those muffins, as they have been in a bad mood because since I forgot them”! The moment I arrived to put in his car, the boss yelled to say I had arrived, and get them fast so we will all take lunch now.
Your recipes look great, seam healthy and I can’t wait to see many more