Avocado adds a twist to classic egg salad. Try our quick and easy avocado egg salad recipe with celery, fresh herbs, and lemon juice.
Watch the Video
How to Make Avocado Egg Salad
We love egg salad — here’s our take on classic egg salad. We don’t like to add too many ingredients to it — a little mayo, some celery, and fresh herbs are all we need. We were happy with the classic, but then we stumbled onto this version with avocado. I mean we already love combining avocado and egg, so this avocado egg salad was a natural progression, right? The thought of combining two of our favorite ingredients into one creamy and easy salad made us giddy.
I’ve already said it, but I’m going to say it again, this recipe is so simple! Simply mash avocado with a tiny bit of mayonnaise then stir in chopped hard-boiled eggs, celery, lemon juice, and herbs.
We love the extra moisture and creaminess the mayo adds, but if you want to keep this mayo-free, no problem, just leave it out or substitute with plain yogurt. If you do end up adding it, consider using homemade mayonnaise — here’s our easy mayo recipe with lots of tips to help you make it.
When you stir everything together, try to keep things a little chunky. Then season with salt and pepper and enjoy as you would any egg salad. We love to make open-faced sandwiches, but spooning this on top of a big salad would also be delicious.
Cooking eggs for egg salad: Take a look at our step-by-step tutorial for how to cook hard boiled eggs! It’s really easy and can be done in advance. Or, if you have an Instant Pot, try out recipe for Instant Pot hard boiled eggs.
More Avocado Recipes
- Very Best Avocado Salad — I could eat this avocado salad with crunchy cucumbers every day.
- Smashed Avocado Toast with Egg — Thanks to a hard-boiled egg, flaky salt, lemon, and pepper, it is healthy, protein-packed, delicious, and has significant sticking power!
- Breakfast Tacos with Peppers and Onions — Avocado is a must for me when making these ultra-satisfying breakfast tacos with scrambled eggs, shredded potatoes, peppers, and onions.
- Quick and Easy Avocado Pasta — Our avocado pasta is quick, easy, and dairy-free. You only need 15 minutes and a fork to make the creamy avocado sauce (no food processor is required!)
Easy Avocado Egg Salad
Avocado egg salad takes classic egg salad up a notch. In addition to the avocado, we add a little mayonnaise for moisture, celery for crunch, fresh herbs and a small amount of lemon juice to brighten things up. If you are not a fan of mayonnaise, leave it out completely or substitute with plain yogurt.
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Need
1 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise, or Greek yogurt (try our homemade mayonnaise recipe)
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1 medium-length celery stalk, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives, parsley or dill
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1Mash avocado, mayonnaise, and lemon juice together in a medium bowl. Stir in the eggs, celery, and chives. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. (Egg salad is best eaten the same day as making).
Adam and Joanne's Tips
- To make hard-cooked (hard-boiled) eggs, in a saucepan, cover eggs with 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) of cold water, bring to a boil then immediately remove from heat and cover with lid. Let eggs stand, covered in hot water for 12 minutes. Then plunge eggs into ice cold water to stop the cooking. A full tutorial with photographs can be found here: How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs.
- Nutrition facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values. We did not include any bread in the calculations.