This zucchini lasagna recipe is perfect when you’re a little (or a lot) short on time, but you still want to knock the socks off anyone who eats it. Lasagna is certainly a popular meal in our house, but sometimes the layering, baking and waiting is just too much. That’s why we thought up this little gem. It’s still lasagna, it just isn’t baked.
Zucchini Lasagna in Less Than 25 Minutes
Everything starts with zucchini, yellow squash and some shallots. We roast everything together for about 15 minutes. Did you know that when you roast shallots they get all caramelized and crispy? Yum.
So while the zucchini, yellow squash and shallots roast, you can make a delectable, light lemony ricotta sauce to add to all the lasagna layers.
All the sauce is, is ricotta cheese, lemon zest, salt and a touch of hot pasta water. Everything comes together into a creamy dreamy sauce.
Then, when it comes to serving, just layer everything on a plate. Try arranging in opposite directions so it looks pretty.
That’s a darn good looking zucchini lasagna, don’t you think? Just in case you need another reason to use up some zucchini, give our rich and moist Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe a whirl!
The sauce is made from ricotta cheese and lots of lemon zest to really brighten things up.
- 2 zucchini squash, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 summer/yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 shallot or small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 dry lasagna noodles, unbroken
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Zest of one lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Add squash to the pan then use your fingers to separate the shallot slices into rings and add to baking sheet. Add olive oil, Italian seasoning and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt then toss until everything is well coated. Separate squash into one layer then roast until lightly browned, but not mushy, turning once; about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then cook lasagna noodles according to the package directions. (Normally, this will require about 10 minutes of cooking).
- A couple of minutes before the noodles are fully cooked, add ricotta cheese to a microwave-safe bowl and heat 1 minute until warm. Add lemon zest and a 1/4 cup of water from the pasta pot then stir until a sauce forms. Add more water if sauce is too thick. Taste then season with salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta noodles then cut each noodle in half. Place one half noodle down onto a serving plate, top with a spoonfull of ricotta sauce, some of the roasted squash and a second noodle. Repeat with two more noodle halves then scatter fresh chopped basil leaves on top.