Easy Cherry Tomato and Feta Salad
This cherry tomato salad recipe is undeniably simple, but that doesn’t mean it won’t blow you away. Thanks to a few tricks, you’ll be making the best tomato salad in no time! Jump to the Easy Cherry Tomato and Feta Salad Recipe or read on to see our tips for making it.
We love this simple salad. In truth, we’re merely talking about tomatoes with salt, vinegar, pepper, and olive oil. Why would we need a recipe for that, right? Well, let me tell you. It’s not what goes into the salad it’s when.
We make this salad a lot, but we make our creamy cucumber salad just as often. For another healthy and fresh salad, try our tzatziki-inspired cucumber salad made with Greek yogurt.
How to Make the Best Tomato Salad
Whether you are making this tomato and feta salad, which we love, or if you are making your version, the trick to the best tomato salad is to salt your tomatoes.
Beyond that, though, it isn’t just salting the tomatoes, it’s giving the salt and tomatoes time together before adding anything else.
They taste great by themselves, but after allowing tomatoes to marinate in a little of salt for a bit, they are incredible. The sweetness and flavor intensify. Use this tip for the best bruschetta, too!
In our recipe, we suggest 10 minutes, but take that as a minimum. The longer the salt sits on the tomatoes, the better they become. Well, that might be an overstatement — there isn’t much need for longer than an hour, plus who’s that patient when it comes to fresh tomato salad?
When you’re ready to eat the salad, stir in a bit of acid — we’ve been obsessed with champagne vinegar lately, but red wine vinegar, balsamic or even fresh lemon juice will all work.
In a nod to authentic Greek salads, we sneak in a slab of feta cheese. Not that you couldn’t add another kind of cheese — tomatoes and mozzarella are a classic. Then scatter oregano and pepper on top as well as a drizzle of high-quality olive oil. Easy, fresh and straightforward. Make this one soon; I know you’ll love it!
If you loved this easy tomato salad, take a look at more tomato recipes:
- Our simple, three-ingredient tomato soup is one of our most popular recipes. You wouldn’t think that three ingredients — butter, onion, and tomato — can come together to make such a velvety and delicious tomato soup, but let me tell you. They can.
- You can’t go wrong with tomato salad next to perfectly cooked and juicy chicken breasts. This light chicken Caprese salad might be the ultimate chicken dinner!
- If you have leftover tomatoes, make a batch of fresh pico de gallo. We spoon this homemade tomato salsa over everything!
- Serve this colorful chopped tomato, onion, and cucumber salad with or over anything. With tomatoes, onion, cucumber, parsley, and a simple vinaigrette, the salad is crunchy, ultra-flavorful and is vegetarian.
Easy Cherry Tomato and Feta Salad
This cherry tomato salad recipe is undeniably simple, but that doesn’t mean it won’t blow you away. Salting the tomatoes for at least 10 minutes helps to intensify their sweetness and flavor. We call for cherry tomatoes, but all varieties, large and small work.
You Will Need
2 cups cherry tomatoes, about 10 ounces
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon vinegar like red wine, balsamic or champagne vinegar or use fresh lemon juice
2 ounces feta cheese, cut into large slabs
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Generous pinch of fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Halve or quarter the tomatoes, so they are a variety of shapes and sizes. Add to a serving bowl then toss with salt. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
Stir in the vinegar, and then nestle the feta cheese slabs into the pile of tomatoes. Scatter oregano and black pepper on top. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Adam and Joanne's Tips
- The tomato salad will keep, covered in the refrigerator, for a day or two.
- Nutrition Facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.