You only need three main ingredients to make this classic bourbon Manhattan cocktail recipe at home. You’ll need bourbon, sweet vermouth and angostura bitters. Then, if you want, finish it off with orange peel and a maraschino cherry for garnish.
Bourbon Manhattan Cocktail Recipe at Home
Not long ago, we sat and watched as a young mixologist painstakingly made us his take on a Manhattan cocktail. House-made bitters and vermouth were added. He stirred, never shook and the precision with which he used his personal zester, one that he has had for years was mesmerizing.
At home, we don’t make our own vermouth or bitters, not that we would want to (read: it would be pretty cool, though). Leaving the house-made stuff to the pros, we, instead, make this simple bourbon Manhattan cocktail recipe.
Did you like our bourbon Manhattan cocktail recipe? If so, we bet you’ll love these:
- Manhattan Cocktail Recipe from Esquire
- Pear and Cranberry Cocktail Recipe from Inspired Taste
- All Cocktail Recipes from Inspired Taste
- 2 1/2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 2-3 dashes aromatic bitters (We use Angostura)
- maraschino cherry for garnish
- orange peel for garnish
- Fill a martini glass to the brim with ice so it chills while you make the Manhattan.
- Add whiskey, sweet vermouth and bitters to a shaker or glass with a few ice cubes, and then stir or gently shake. Do not over do it, you do not want the ice to water down the drink.
- Discard ice from martini glass then strain Manhattan into the chilled glass and garnish with cherry and orange peel.
While we used bourbon in this version, it is also popular to use rye whiskey.
We like our Manhattan on the sweeter side, but if you prefer things on the dryer side, use 50/50 sweet vermouth to dry vermouth.