How to make easy bacon-wrapped, cheesy jalapeno poppers in the oven or on the grill. Jump to the Easy Jalapeno Poppers Recipe. Or watch our quick, straight-forward video showing you how we make them.
Make these easy pepper poppers in the oven or on the grill. Let me show you how.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Wether you make these in the oven or on the grill, the preparation is the same.
Halve each jalapeno from stem to end. Then use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and white membrane.
TIP: It’s the seeds and white membrane that makes peppers hot. For the mildest poppers, remove all the seeds and membrane. If you like things hot and spicy, leave the membrane inside the pepper, but remove the seeds.
Fill the pepper halves with cream cheese. You can leave the cream cheese plain or add some flavor. We love fresh chives or chopped green onion. You could also add some chili powder, other herbs, or a combination of cheeses. Feta cheese, goat cheese, or shredded cheddar cheese are great options.
Grab bacon and cut into small strips. Wrap a piece of bacon around each stuffed pepper half and secure it with a toothpick.
TIP: Soak toothpicks in water about 1 hour before making to prevent them from burning on the grill.
Now it is time to cook.
If you’re using the oven, bake them until the peppers are tender and the bacon is crisp — about 20 minutes.
If you’re using the grill, use a grill basket or aluminum foil. This prevents the peppers from falling through the grates. Grill over medium-high heat until tender and the bacon is crisp — about 15 minutes.
Recipe updated, originally posted June 2012. Since posting this in 2012, we have added a recipe video and tweaked the recipe to be more clear. – Adam and Joanne
- 6 jalapeno peppers
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or green onion
- 4 slices thin-cut bacon
- 12 wooden toothpicks, soaked (see notes)
- Slice each pepper in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and white membrane. (Seeds and the white membrane are where most of the heat comes from).
- Stir the cream cheese and chives (or green onion) together. Fill pepper halves with the cream cheese mixture.
- Slice bacon into 12 1 1/2-inch pieces. Wrap one piece of bacon around each filled pepper-half. Secure the bacon with a toothpick.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Arrange the peppers, filling side facing up, onto the baking sheet. Bake until the bacon is crispy and the peppers are tender; 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Place a grill basket or aluminum foil on the grill. This prevents the poppers from falling through the grates.
- Arrange the peppers, filling side facing up, in the basket or on foil. Grill until the bacon is crispy and the peppers are tender; 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stuff and wrap jalapeño poppers up to 1 day in advance. Refrigerate, well-covered, until ready to bake.