If there’s one combination of flavors that will get both of us, it’s chocolate and peanut butter. I think it might be one of factors that led to our marriage. In it’s honor, we spruced up Rice Krispie Treats with big chucks of Reese’s candy and a shiny chocolate glaze. We added Kix cereal, too, which is bigger and crunchy for just a hint of extra texture. These babies didn’t last long, not long at all.
A No Bake Dessert: Reese’s Rice Krispie Treats
The greatest part about these Rice Krispie treats? No oven required! In fact, you don’t even need the stovetop. Everything, including the shiny chocolate glaze, is made in the microwave. (If you don’t have a microwave, you can totally make this on the stove, just take a peek at the recipe below).
How to Make Reese’s Rice Krispie Treats
Add a bunch of quartered Reese’s cups, Rice Krispies and Kix (corn puff cereal) to a huge bowl. Then, feel free to sneak a quarter or two of the Reese’s, we won’t tell. Promise.
Add a bag of mini marshmallows to a microwave-safe bowl along with butter. Then, microwave for 30 seconds.
After 30 seconds, the butter will have melted some and the marshmallows will look pretty much the same as before — give it a stir, then you’ll start to notice that the inside of each marshmallow began to melt a bit. Place the bowl back into the microwave and microwave another 10 seconds. Stir and they will look similar to the photo below.
Microwave for another 10 seconds, stir, and then repeat until everything has completely melted. See? No stove needed.
Pour the melted marshmallows and butter into the big bowl of cereal and Reese’s then stir. It will be sticky, but be patient and within five to ten turns of your spoon, everything will be mixed.
Transfer to a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Then, press down and let the Rice Krispy Treats cool for 20 minutes or so.
Once cool, you can make the chocolate glaze. Again, we use a microwave. Add a whole bag of bittersweet chocolate chips and some butter to a bowl. Then, microwave in 20 to 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until smooth. Add some honey for sweetness and an extra glisten.
Then, pour over the Rice Krispy Treats — oh, my! Is there anything more beautiful?
Top with salted peanuts and resist for thirty minutes, and then cut into squares.
Still looking for something sweet? Take a look at all of our dessert recipes.
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 10-ounce bag (283 grams) mini marshmallows
- 6 cups (180 grams) toasted rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 2 cups (60 grams) crispy corn puff cereal (Kix)
- Six 1.5-ounce packages Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (12 peanut butter cups)
- One 10 oz bag (283 grams) bittersweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 8 tablespoons (113 grams) butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- Generously spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish. (You could also line with parchment paper).
- Cut each peanut butter cup into six pieces. In a bowl that is large enough to fit all of the cereal, combine cereals and the chopped peanut butter cups.
- Add butter and marshmallows to a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Use a spoon and stir the marshmallows (while they may not look melted, once you stir them they begin to turn molten). If some marshmallows are still solid, place the bowl back into the microwave for 10 seconds. Stir until smooth. (If after 10 seconds they still have not all melted, repeat, in 10 second intervals, until they are - just remember to stir each time).
- Pour melted marshmallow over cereal and gently stir until well coated.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish and press into one even layer. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and let sit, at room temperature for 30 minutes or until cooled and set.
- Once set, the chocolate glaze can be added to the top. To make glaze, add chocolate, and the butter to a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Use a spoon to stir then microwave for 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval until chocolate, and the butter have melted into a glaze. (In our microwave, this took the initial 30 seconds then four intervals of 20 seconds).
- Add honey then vigorously stir the glaze until shiny, and then pour over cooled Rice Krispy treats. Now, use an off-set spatula or knife to spread the glaze into one even layer. Immediately top with chopped peanuts then let sit another 20 to 30 minutes until the glaze has set completely. Cut into 4 rows by 6 rows.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Pour melted marshmallow over cereal and gently stir until well coated.
Stovetop Method, Chocolate Glaze:
Add chocolate, butter and honey in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir until melted. Remove from heat then vigorously stir the glaze until shiny, and then pour over cooled Rice Krispy treats.