Fresh ripe red fruit tossed in the easiest dressing ever — orange juice and a little sugar. We stick to red fruit for this salad — strawberries, raspberries and plums.
It’s often the simplest things that get us excited — take this Fruit Salad from Heidi at 101 Cookbooks. It couldn’t get any simpler, right? The moment we saw it, we knew we had to make our own version.
This really is the easiest fruit salad recipe, ever …
The fruit you choose to add is completely up to you. We like to make strawberries our base and go from there. Your best bet is to decide once you are in the store — buy what looks the best.
Slice the fruit into similar sizes. Squeeze the juice of one orange over the top. Lemon juice works as well, we just love the sweetness of the orange.
Add some sugar. The amount of sugar can vary depending on the sweetness of the fruits you’ve chosen. We usually add 1 to 2 tablespoons.
Leave the fruit salad at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes. As it sits, the sugar pulls out some of the natural juices of the fruit, adding to the dressing. Then serve.
You May Also Like These Recipes
- This pretty fruit salad recipe from The Pioneer Woman.
- These chocolate drizzled fruit skewers from us, at Inspired Taste.
- Or, our orange cream fruit dip recipe — it’s perfect for fruit and cookies.
What You Need to Know: Fruit salad is best eaten the same day as making. If you need to make it in advance, keep fragile fruit (such as raspberries) separate until serving. Strawberries, plums and cherries will be okay up to one day in advance. When storing, be sure to keep covered in the refrigerator.
- 2 pounds (900 g) ripe strawberries
- 1 pound (450 g) additional fruit (we like raspberries, plums and cherries)
- Juice of 1 orange (about 1/3 cup or 80 ml)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar, depending on sweetness of fruit
- Hull then halve or quarter strawberries. Cut remaining fruit to a similar size as the strawberries. (If using raspberries, leave whole).
- Gently toss fruit, orange juice and sugar together. Leave at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes. Toss again then serve.