This is our favorite shrimp cocktail recipe. Instead of poaching, we quickly roast shrimp with salt, pepper and lemon in a hot oven until sweet and tender. It’s perfection and so simple.
Of course, this recipe is nothing new. We first saw it shared by Ina Garten. We’ve been making it for nearly 5 years now because it’s ridiculously simple, the tastiest and easiest appetizer to whip up for a party.
It’s an absolute classic with just the right amount of spin to make it exciting again. Not to mention you can customize it however you like. Here, we’ve used lots of lemon and pepper, but a mixture of chili powder, cumin and spice would completely transform it into something deliciously different.
Here’s How To Make Our (Ridiculously Easy) Shrimp Cocktail:
Step one: Toss peeled and deveined shrimp (nice big shrimp are best) with the tails left on with some olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper and lemon zest.
Step two: Line them up on a baking sheet with some space between them.
Step three: Roast for 5 to 10 minutes or until the shrimp are pink, firm and cooked through.
You can serve this however you like — we’re partial to serving with extra lemon wedges and regular cocktail sauce spiced up a little with extra horseradish. Warm, room temperature and cold all work — so making this ahead of time is a perfectly fine thing to do.
Don’t forget that you can customize the flavors as you like — tossing with a little sriracha and honey before roasting would be lovely. You could also use your favorite spice blend — old bay and garam masala are perfect. It’s all up to you.
**A Note about grilling: If you’re not in the mood to turn on your oven, try grilling the shrimp instead. Threading the shrimp onto skewers that have been soaked in water for a few minutes makes this extra easy.
Here’s a Few More Shrimp Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Spicy Maple Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Recipe
- Shrimp Pasta with Tomato and Basil Recipe
- Shrimp Salad on Endive Recipe
- Chili Lime Shrimp Cups
- Here’s two more shrimp cocktail recipes — both poach the shrimp rather than roasting: Shrimp Cocktail Recipe from Simply Recipes and The Best Shrimp Cocktail Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
- 1 pound (450 grams) large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails left on
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Lemon wedges
- Cocktail sauce
- Heat oven to 400º F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss shrimp with the olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Tumble shrimp onto the baking sheet and spread into one layer. (If you are doubling this recipe, you may need two baking sheets. Try to leave some space between each shrimp).
- Roast shrimp for 5 to 10 minutes until pink, firm and cooked through.
- Serve with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce on the side. (This can be served straight from the oven or cold).
We use kosher salt. If you don’t have it on hand, keep this in mind: 1 teaspoon fine sea or table salt = about 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt.
Recipe tweaked from Ina Garten's Roasted Shrimp Cocktail Recipe