There really is only one way we cook bacon. We bake bacon in the oven. It’s easy, there’s no spluttering of oil and it produces crispy slices of bacon heaven.
We love using a cooling rack that fits inside a rimmed baking sheet for this. If you don’t have a cooking rack that will fit inside a baking sheet, just line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the bacon slices directly onto the foil (make sure they are in one layer). The fat won’t drip away from the bacon, but it will crisp up nicely anyway.
- For peppered bacon, grind fresh black pepper (we prefer a course grind) all over the bacon slices before baking.
- For maple baked bacon, bake for 12-15 minutes and remove from the oven. Brush maple syrup onto the bacon slices then place back into the oven for another 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
More Bacon Inspiration from Around the Web:
Candied Bacon Ice Cream from David Lebovitz
Bacon Cups from Not Martha
Bacon Jam from Homesick Texan
Maple Dijon Glazed Bacon from Nook & Pantry
Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Maple Frosting from The Novice Chef
- 12 slices thick cut bacon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange bacon slices onto a baking sheet. If you have one that fits, place a cooling rack inside the baking sheet then arrange the bacon slices in one layer on top.
- Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Bake bacon for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.