Skip the oil and fryer and make easy baked chicken hot wings instead. Jump to the Crispy Baked Hot Wings Recipe or watch our quick, straight-forward video showing you how we make them.
We love hot wings, but the last thing we want to do at home is get out a deep fryer. That’s why we’re such big fans of this easy baked chicken wings recipe. Our recipe makes chicken wings that are crispy and delicious. They are also perfect for serving a crowd. There’s no hovering over hot oil. This simple recipe lets you make big batches of wings with little work from you.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: If you’ve never tried grilling wings, you need to start. This Easy Lemon Garlic Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe is a great place to start.
How to Make Perfectly Crispy Baked Chicken Hot Wings in the Oven
Baking chicken wings at home is so easy. Below we share how to bake them and a simple restaurant-style hot sauce to coat them in. There’s also a quick recipe for our favorite blue cheese dipping sauce.
There are three things to keep in mind when baking wings:
- It’s up to you whether you separate the chicken wings. Some grocery stores sell them separated. If the wings you buy are not, you can do it yourself. Or, just leave them unseparated. The recipe will work both ways.
WATCH: How to cut a chicken wing.
- Bake the wings on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet. By baking the chicken wings on a wire rack, fat drips away from the wings while they bake and helps keep them crispy.
- Bake chicken wings at a high temperature — we choose 400º F. The wings bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
How to Make Restaurant-Style Hot Wing Sauce
While the wings bake, you can make the sauce. It’s easy. Melt butter in a saucepan then stir in hot pepper sauce (we love Frank’s). Then season the sauce with garlic powder and salt.
Coat the crispy baked wings in the sauce and serve with celery as well as your favorite dipping sauce. For us, that’s a chunky blue cheese dressing. Here’s how we make it:
5 Minute Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
Add equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream to a bowl then stir in lots of blue cheese, fresh parsley, and salt. Done!
This makes a delicious salad dressing, too. Thin out the dip with a splash of milk or buttermilk, and then use over salad greens. Delicious.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE: We love chicken wings and have more recipes for them on Inspired Taste. Take a look at our Sweet Chili Baked Chicken Wings (with recipe video), our Brown Sugar Barbecue Baked Chicken Wings, or our Pho-Inspired Grilled Chicken Wings.
Recipe updated, originally posted December 2011. Since posting this in 2011, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear and added a quick recipe video. – Adam and Joanne
- 1 pound chicken wings, separated at joints, tips discarded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup hot pepper hot sauce (suggested brand: Frank's Red Hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Celery, cut into sticks
- Blue cheese dip
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Set a wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Season wings with salt. Spread out in one layer on wire rack. Bake until cooked through and crispy, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove saucepan from the heat then stir in hot sauce and garlic powder. Season with salt, to taste.
- Toss the baked chicken wings in the sauce and serve with celery and blue cheese dip.
- Stir mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese, and parsley together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.