Tender Roasted Asparagus
Our favorite method for making perfectly roasted asparagus. Simple, quick, and delicious! Jump to the Tender Roasted Asparagus Recipe or read on to see our tips for making it.
How To Roast Asparagus
Roasted asparagus is one of our favorite side dishes. It is ridiculously quick and simple to make. We love it served alone, added to omelets, and even served on top of crostini for a simple appetizer (or lunch). Roasting your own bunch of asparagus is easy and can be done in three steps.
- Rinse, pat dry, and trim the ends of each stem. Peel thicker stems as needed (see below).
- Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Or add your favorite seasonings. We often add a little fresh lemon zest and garlic. Here’s our garlic roasted asparagus for you to look at.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven until the tips brown slightly and the stalks are tender.
Depending on how thick the asparagus is, it will take between 15 and 25 minutes to bake. We try to buy thin-stalked asparagus when we can find it. If you can only find asparagus that’s got thick, woody stems we recommend using a vegetable peeler to peel away the thick outer peel of the stalks.
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes
- Parmesan Lemon Roasted Cauliflower — See how we turn boring cauliflower into perfectly tender and browned cauliflower.
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Craveable Sauce — Smoky, creamy, and perfectly golden brown potatoes served with a ridiculously tasty potato salad inspired dipping sauce.
- Roasted Carrots with Garlic Parsley Butter — Easy roasted carrots recipe with a garlic parsley butter. The carrots are sweet, tender and completely delicious.
- Crave-Worthy Roasted Mushrooms — How to make deeply flavored oven roasted mushrooms that are perfectly golden brown.
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Ham — Learn our tricks for tender Brussels sprouts that are caramelized and delicious.
Recipe updated, originally posted May 2010. Since posting this in 2010, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear. – Adam and Joanne
Tender Roasted Asparagus
Our easy method for perfectly roasted asparagus. Depending on how thick the asparagus is, it will take between 15 and 25 minutes to bake. We try to buy thin-stalked asparagus when we can find it. If you can only find asparagus that’s got thick, woody stems we recommend using a vegetable peeler to peel away the thick outer peel of the stalks.
You Will Need
1 pound fresh asparagus
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Rinse asparagus and pat dry. Trim about 1/2-inch from the stalky ends. Place trimmed asparagus onto the baking sheet and toss with olive oil, and then lightly season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Spread into a single layer.
Bake until the tips begin to brown and the stalks are tender, 15 to 25 minutes depending on the thickness of your asparagus.