It’s so simple to make this chicken enchiladas recipe with salsa verde, chicken, sour cream, cheese and cilantro. The perfect quick and easy dinner.
Salsa verde is a green salsa made from tomatillos, garlic, onion and peppers. It’s absolutely delicious. You can usually find a few options to buy at the store, but if you can’t find it or if you’re up for a little extra work, make your own!
Take a look at our Roasted Salsa Verde recipe. It’s perfect served as a salsa with chips or add it to this enchilada recipe. We roast tomatillos, onion, garlic and hot peppers then puree. It’s divine.
These simple enchiladas are spicy, savory and cheesy. Our recipe below serves 3 to 4, but you can easily double or even triple it for a crowd.
How to Make Our Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Our recipe below calls for cooked shredded chicken. You could use store-bought rotisserie or even leftover chicken. We like making our own and especially love this shredded chicken recipe:
Here’s how we make a batch of tender, flavorful Shredded Chicken on the stove in less than 1 hour. We also share our tips for making shredded chicken in a slow cooker.
Now, for the sauce.
Making the Creamy Salsa Verde Enchilada Sauce
The sauce could not be simpler. Cook some garlic, stir in salsa verde then add sour cream and fresh cilantro.
Just before assembling the enchiladas we stir in shredded chicken and some cheese.
Divide the chicken between 6 tortillas and roll up. Place them seam-side down into a baking dish then top with the reserved sauce and extra cheese.
Bake the enchiladas in the oven until the cheese has melted and the sauce is nice and bubbly.
That’s it. We love this chicken enchilada recipe — it’s so easy!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (16 ounces) salsa verde, store-bought or try our Roasted Salsa Verde recipe
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems, chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, see our Shredded Chicken recipe
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese blend
- 6 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Make Creamy Sauce: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat then cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in salsa verde and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove skillet from the heat then stir in the sour cream and cilantro. Taste for seasoning, adjusting with salt, pepper or more sour cream if the sauce it too spicy.
- Set aside about 1 cup of the sauce for assembling the enchiladas.
- Make Chicken Filling: Stir chicken and half of the cheese into the sauce that has not been set aside.
- Assemble Enchiladas: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish and spread a little reserved sauce on the bottom.
- Add about 1/3 cup of the shredded chicken mixture to the middle of each tortilla and roll into a cylinder. Repeat, lining up tortillas, seam-side down, tightly in the dish.
- Spread the rest of the reserved sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer, until the cheese is melted. Garnish with extra cilantro on top.