We are big egg salad fans. We used to add lots of ingredients, but over time we’ve learned to hold back. We’ve found that we enjoy egg salad more the fewer ingredients we add. A little mayonnaise for moisture, celery for crunch, herbs for freshness and a spritz of lemon to brighten things up. Simple.
Simplified Egg Salad Recipe
Egg salad starts with hard boiled eggs. If you’re usure of how to make them, check out our step-by-step tutorial. Basically, you add eggs to water in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, cover and then take off of the heat. The eggs continue to cook for about 12 minutes and they’re done.
We usually plunge the eggs into cold water to cool them down then peel.
From there, chop the eggs finely and add to a bowl with a little mayonnaise, celery, herbs (we like chives) and lemon juice. Stir until combined then season with salt and pepper. Done.
Easy, right? What do you add to your egg salad recipe? Tell us in the comments below.
You May Also Like
- This Egg Salad Recipe looks great from 101 Cookbooks.
- Or, try taking inspiration from one of these twists: 10 New Way to Make Egg Salad from The Kitchn.
- We also add eggs to our Potato Salad Recipe.
What You Need to Know: To make hard-cooked (hard-boiled) eggs, in a saucepan, cover eggs with 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) of cold water, bring to a boil then immediately remove from heat and cover with lid. Let eggs stand, covered in the hot water for 12 minutes. Then plunge eggs into ice cold water to stop the cooking. A full tutorial with photographs can be found here: How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs.
Special Equipment: Saucepan, knife, bowl and measuring spoons.
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) mayonnaise, or Greek yogurt (try homemade mayonnaise)
- 1 medium-length celery stalk, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) finely chopped chives, parsley or dill
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Stir eggs, mayonnaise, celery, chives and lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.