We love egg salad. In fact, we’ve shared an egg salad recipe before. We really don’t like to add too many ingredients to it — a little mayo, some celery and fresh herbs are all we need.
That’s until we stumbled across the idea of adding avocado to it. The thought of combining two of our favorite ingredients into one creamy and easy egg salad made us giddy.
Our avocado egg salad recipe is very simple …
… all you need to do is mash avocado with a tiny bit of mayonnaise then stir in chopped eggs, celery, lemon juice and herbs. You could even swap nonfat or low-fat yogurt for the mayonnaise (sour cream works, too).
When you stir everything together, try to keep things a little chunky. Then, season with salt and pepper and enjoy as you would any egg salad. We like to make open-faced sandwiches, but do what you love.
What do you think, are you ready to add avocado to egg salad? We’re glad we did.
You May Also Like
- Take a look at our Original Egg Salad Recipe
- Or, check out our tutorial for How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs.
- This is the Avocado Egg Salad Recipe that inspired us to bend our rules a little and add creamy avocado.
- You might also enjoy The Pioneer Woman’s Avocado Egg Salad.
What You Need to Know: To make hard-cooked (hard-boiled) eggs, in a saucepan, cover eggs with 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) of cold water, bring to a boil then immediately remove from heat and cover with lid. Let eggs stand, covered in the hot water for 12 minutes. Then plunge eggs into ice cold water to stop the cooking. A full tutorial with photographs can be found here: How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs.
Special Equipment: Saucepan, knife, bowl and measuring spoons.
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) mayonnaise, or Greek yogurt (try homemade mayonnaise)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 ml) lemon juice
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium-length celery stalk, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) finely chopped chives, parsley or dill
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Mash avocado, mayonnaise and lemon juice together in a medium bowl. Stir in the eggs, celery and chives. Season with salt and pepper.