Not too long ago, we shared our take on buffalo chicken inspired pizza and family-friendly buffalo chicken stuffed shells. They were (and still are) a huge hit. Thankfully, we’ve found another good excuse to indulge in buffalo chicken — this cheesy buffalo chicken dip recipe.
How to Make Our Creamy, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
This is slightly different to many of the buffalo chicken dips shared on other websites. Other recipes go for more of a thicker dip made from a hefty amount of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, cubed chicken and blue cheese or ranch dressing. If that’s more your style, take a glance at this Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe from Add a Pinch, it looks delicious.
If a creamy, cheesy fondue-style dip is what you are after, then you are in the right place!
The base of our dip is actually a version of Béchamel sauce, which basically means a sauce made of milk that has been thickened with a cooked butter-flour mixture. We use a similar sauce when making our Macaroni and Cheese recipe.
Onion, celery and lots of cheese are added to the sauce – we use a combination of cream cheese and sharp cheddar. Then we stir in a hearty amount of hot sauce and some shredded chicken.
By the way, if you wanted to skim down on steps for the recipe, you can leave the chicken out. Technically, it won’t be a buffalo “chicken” dip, but it still tastes amazing and works perfectly served with crisp veggies, chips or even strips of chicken on the side.
After tasting for spiciness, we pour the dip into a baking dish, top with just a touch more cheese and broil until bubbly and golden brown.
What do you think, are you ready to give our buffalo chicken inspired dip a try?
If you enjoyed this recipe, we bet you’ll love these:
- Unbelievably Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip – A warm gooey dip with not one, but three cheeses, lots of artichoke, fresh spinach and garlic.
- Irresistible Red Pepper Hummus or our Original Better Than Store-bought Hummus Recipe – When we first figured out how to make our own hummus, we were shocked at how easy (and fast) it is. With just a few simple tricks, you really can make creamy smooth hummus at home.
- Baked Cheese Dip with Tomato and Basil – Amazing baked cheese dip with lots of cheese, sour cream, tomatoes and fresh basil. Perfect served warm with bread.
- Simple Tzatziki with Feta (Cucumber Yogurt Dip) – Thick and creamy tzatziki yogurt dip with fresh cucumber, lemon, dill and feta cheese.
We should mention that this dip is just as good without chicken. We've made it both ways and think you and your friends will love both options. So if you want to save a little dough or have more hearty things to dip on the side (chicken tenders?), skip the chicken.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk (whole or 2% reduced fat are best)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery (1 celery stalk)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (2 medium cloves)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar (2 cups packed)
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 5 to 8 tablespoons Franks Red Hot Original hot sauce
- Celery and/or tortilla chips for serving
- Cook the Chicken: Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet with lid over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot and looks shimmery, add chicken. Cook until the underside turns golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Flip, reduce heat to low then cover with lid. Cook until an instant read thermometer reads 165º F when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh or breast, 10 to 15 minutes. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, use two forks to shred chicken, then set aside.
- Prepare the dip: Heat the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to a simmer. Turn off the heat and set aside. (Or, heat in a microwave-safe container in the microwave).
- Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook until the onions and celery soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and the flour. Cook, while whisking constantly, until the flour turns light brown in color, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- While whisking constantly, slowly pour the warmed milk into the flour mixture. Continue whisking until smooth. It will get thick at first and then thin out.
- Return the saucepan to medium heat and while whisking constantly cook until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in cream cheese and all but a handful of the cheddar cheese until melted and smooth. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and 5 tablespoons of the hot sauce. Taste the dip for spiciness and seasoning then adjust with additional hot sauce and salt. Stir in shredded chicken.
- Position a rack 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on high.
- Pour the dip into a 2-quart baking dish then top with the leftover cheddar cheese. Place baking dish onto a baking sheet lined with foil then broil dip until the top is bubbling and the cheese begins to brown. Serve with tortilla chips and celery sticks.