Smokey, sweet, spicy and easy — this salmon sandwich is one of our favorites.
Simply Seared Salmon with Agave Nectar (Or Honey)
The salmon itself is brushed with a little bit of sweet agave nectar and then seasoned with salt and pepper. (You could also use honey). Then, when the salmon is seared in a hot pan, the agave nectar caramelizes a little. So good.
It only takes about 15 minutes to cook the salmon — this one is so quick.
Turn It Into a Salmon Sandwich
To work with the sweet crust of the salmon, we make a simple spicy mayonnaise. Mix cilantro, lime juice, and a little chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with mayonnaise. Then slather it onto bread, top with a little peppery arugula and add the salmon.
Note – You can usually find canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the international aisle of grocery stores, but can also find it in Hispanic or Asian markets.
You May Also Like
We just love these salmon sandwiches — they’re easy and taste amazing. If you liked this, you may also like our Simply Grilled Salmon with Grilled Nectarines or our Baked Salmon Recipe with Lemon. You could also take a glance at all of our salmon recipes for inspiration.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- Four 6 ounce center cut salmon fillets, skinned
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from can
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper
- 4 bread rolls
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Heat a heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil.
- Brush salmon on both sides with agave nectar and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook salmon 3-4 minutes on each side, until cooked and easily flaked witha fork. Transfer salmon to a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, make chipotle mayonnaise by combining mayonnaise, minced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cilantro and the lime juice in the bowl of a small food processor and process unti smooth. Taste then season with salt and pepper. You could also add more minced chipotle pepper and/or adobo sauce to make even spicier.
- Spread mayonnaise onto the bread rolls and place a handful of arugula on each.
- Top with the salmon and serve.