Easy Homemade Pumpkin Pancakes
How to make extra fluffy, delicious pumpkin pancakes from scratch. Jump to the Easy Homemade Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe or read on to see our tips for making them.
The Secret to the Fluffiest Pumpkin Pancakes
There are some recipes that you always come back to, these pumpkin pancakes are that kind of recipe. These pumpkin pancakes are simple to make and call on ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
To make them, you will need pumpkin puree. You can use canned puree or homemade pumpkin puree. If you’ve never made pumpkin puree from scratch before, it’s easy! Here’s our simple tutorial for how to do it.
We like our pancakes to be fluffy and light, have you seen our essential pancake recipe, yet? Well, that recipe was the stepping off point for these easy pumpkin pancakes.
There are two tricks for the fluffiest pancakes:
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately. Then when you’re ready to cook, slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Once you see most of the large lumps of flour disappear, you’re done. No more mixing required. We use the same approach when making quick breads and muffins.
- Use the right amount of leavener. In this recipe, we are using baking powder and baking soda to get nice, tall fluffy pancakes.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Easy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese — How to make extra creamy pumpkin mac and cheese in under 1 hour. The perfect Fall dinner!
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Butter Pecan Syrup — Fluffy pumpkin pancakes recipe with pumpkin puree and warm spices. Plus, a recipe for homemade butter pecan syrup.
- Homemade (and easy) Pumpkin Pie — How to make classic, unfussy pumpkin pie from scratch. This is our favorite way to make pumpkin pie. It’s easy, too!
- Pumpkin Scones — How to make the best spiced pumpkin scones inspired by Starbucks.
- Chocolate Orange Pumpkin Bread — This quick bread has pumpkin, orange, and is packed with chopped chocolate. Not too sweet, extremely moist and perfect for fall!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte — How to make the best pumpkin spice latte at home with pumpkin puree, coffee, milk, and fall spices. Better than store-bought!
Recipe updated, originally posted November 2011. Since posting this in 2011, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear. – Adam and Joanne
Easy Homemade Pumpkin Pancakes
We love these pumpkin pancakes: not too sweet with a hint of spice. If you do not have pumpkin spice mix at home, combine 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg to make 2 tablespoons of mix. For the recipe below, you will need 2 teaspoons of that mix, leaving you with just over a tablespoon for next time.
You Will Need
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup pure pumpkin puree, see our homemade pumpkin puree recipe
1 large egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice mix, and salt.
In another bowl, whisk the milk, pumpkin puree, egg, and oil until blended.
While stirring, slowly add the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture until blended; try not to over mix the batter. As soon as you see large clumps of flour disappear, stop stirring.
Lightly spray hot skillet or griddle with non-stick cooking spray or lightly brush with melted butter. Then, use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to spoon batter onto the skillet or griddle.
When you begin to notice the edges of the pancake look dry and little bubbles start to appear on the top surfaces of the pancake, turn over. This takes about 2 minutes. Once flipped, cook another 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked in the middle.
Adam and Joanne's Tips
- Nutrition Facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA Supertracker recipe calculator to calculate approximate values.