A simple and quick kale recipe with pasta and nutty brown butter.
All you need is 5 minutes next to the stove to watch that butter brown. We know you can make this glorious toasted brown butter pasta with bright green kale. It’s nutty, has a touch of crunch from lightly wilted kale, rounds out with a tiny touch of sweet from raisins and brings in a little bit of briny feta cheese. This is a wonderful dinner for few, but could absolutely stand out as the main event for many.
Here’s why we love this recipe. In the time it takes to boil and cook that pasta, everything will be done! So, get a big pot of salted water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Once at a boil, add some pasta and cook however long the box or package tells you to.
Ever wondered what brown butter is? You should check out our post What is brown butter and How to Make It.
A Kale Recipe with Raisins and Pasta, Really?
Okay, we know it’s a little odd, but you’ve gotta trust us.
Earthy Kale + Nutty Butter + Sweet, Plump Raisins is awesome!
Plump Up Those Raisins
You don’t just want to add them as is, though. We want them juicy and plump. So, while the pasta cooks, add hot water to the raisins – we really like golden raisins, but regular raisins would work perfectly, as well. The hot water will help plump up the raisins for later. Then, just drain before adding to the pasta.
Learn How to Make Brown Butter
Making brown butter takes just about 5 minutes.
- You want a wide heavy-bottomed pan over medium-low heat.
- Start melting the butter, but as it melts, make sure you swirl the butter around the pan. The butter will go from brown to burnt quickly, so really stay close to the pan when you do this.
- Keep swirling the butter over the heat until it is light brown in color … see that light brown color in the photo below?
- Once it’s light brown and smells all nutty, turn off the heat.
What do you think? We just love the use of kale in this. Tell us, are you going to try our Pasta with Brown Butter and Kale Recipe?
You May Also Like
- Here’s another Fresh Kale Recipe — try our Kale Pesto
- Or, try our Simple Kale Soup With Sausage And Potatoes — it’s very easy to make.
- 8 ounces uncooked bow tie or Farfalle pasta
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (can substitute regular raisins)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cup packed kale, stems and ribs removed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, add pasta then cook according to package directions. Once there is 3 minutes left until the pasta is done, add the kale. Drain.
- In the meantime, add raisins to a small bowl then cover with boiling water and set aside until pasta has cooked.
- Add butter to a heavy-bottomed frying pan and melt, while occasionally swirling the pan, over medium-low heat. Continue to swirl the pan until the butter starts to darken in color. You are looking for a light brown, the butter will smell nutty. Watch the butter closely, the butter can burn quite easily.
- Once the butter has browned, add pasta and kale, toss then drain the raisins and add to the pasta along with the crumbled feta cheese. Serve warm