- Sponsored Post -
We’ve been playing with our slow cooker lately. Maybe it’s the onset of cooler weather and Fall, but we just cannot get enough of slowly cooked stews and soups. This slow cooker recipe has become one of our favorites. The flavors are simple – steak, bell peppers, onion and tomato in a sweet and savory sauce made some soy sauce, beef broth and honey.
The tomatoes we used are actually from Progresso. You may have noticed one of their new products showing up in your grocery store – their new Recipe Starters. Progresso paid us to develop a bunch of slow cooker recipes for them, sent the products and let us play a bit. This recipe uses the Fire Roasted Tomato Flavor. If you can’t find it, feel free to use a can of diced tomatoes, fire roasted diced tomatoes or one of the cans with tomatoes and chiles. They will all work wonderfully.
Slow Cooker Recipe: Making Our Pepper Steak Recipe is Easy
It really is easy. Cut up onions, peppers and some steak. Give the steak a really quick sear in a pan. Then, throw everything into the slow cooker, turn on and walk away until done.
We sear the steak first for a whole bunch of extra flavor.
See how the steak is browned around the edges – that’s flavor! The recipe would be great without doing this, but the extra ten minutes of steak searing adds so much more flavor, we think it’s completely worth it.
Once the steak is caramelized, browned and happy we add it along with lots of peppers (we went for brightly colored orange peppers, but any color will work), onions, garlic, tomato, soy sauce and some honey.
Then, since after searing the steak, the pot we used had a bunch of brown bits stuck to the bottom, we pour in some beef broth and deglaze the pan – that just means we use the broth and a spoon to scrap the bottom of the pot, lifting all the brown bits. Then, we add the broth with all the extra flavor to the slow cooker.
Once the slow cooker gets going the aroma is incredible!
Did you enjoy this Pepper Steak Slow Cooker Recipe? If so, you may also enjoy one or two of these:
- Fire Roasted Tomato and Beef Tacos (another slow cooker recipe) from Inspired Taste
- Beef and Guinness Stew (this can also be made in a slow cooker) from Inspired Taste
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Slow Cooker Pork Recipe from Steamy Kitchen
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas (another Easy Recipe) from Inspired Taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) beef sirloin, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (18 oz) can Progresso Fire Roasted Tomato Recipe Starter Cooking Sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season beef with salt then add to pan and cook 4 to 6 minutes until browned.
- Transfer beef to a 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add beef broth to hot skillet then whisk in cornstarch. Pour over beef.
- Scatter onions, peppers and garlic over beef then add Fire Roasted Tomato Recipe Starter, soy sauce and the honey.
- Cover slow cooker then cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours or until beef is tender.
- Serve beef, onions and peppers with cooked rice.