Simply seasoned tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and a little olive oil. It really doesn’t get much simpler than this. One of our top recipes to make for summer, this can be put together in just about 15 minutes.
How to Make the Best Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
With just three ingredients, you really need to pay attention to the quality. Choose sweet, plump tomatoes for this. In the summer that’s pretty easy, but if your outside the summer months, you might need to look a little harder. We really like to stick to smaller, vine-ripened tomatoes or if you can find them Kumato tomatoes, which we’ve found to be sweet all year round.
Once you’ve gathered your tomatoes, you need to season them. We add a pinch of salt, toss then set them aside for 10 minutes. As they sit, the tomatoes become sweeter and more flavorful.
Finally, choose fresh mozzarella cheese and tear it, don’t slice. It seems a little strange, but we’ve found the by tearing the edges are ragged, which picks up more of the juices from the salad. It also looks a little more rustic, which we love.
We usually stick to highly seasoned tomatoes, the cheese and a little olive oil. Another option is to add more with a splash of balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar or some fresh herbs like basil, mint or chives.
This is a serious favorite around here. We just love it.
You May Also Like
- For more summer inspiration, check out the summer issue of maché magazine — this mozzarella and tomato salad was originally made for them.
- Try our Fresh Tomato Bruschetta, another summer favorite. Or, check out all of our Tomato Recipes.
- This Tomato and Mozzarella Appetizer looks great from Family Foodie and this Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with Basil from Savory Sweet Life looks awesome.
- 1 pint ripe cherry tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces (115 g) fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into bite size pieces
- 6 basil leaves, torn (optional)
- Combine tomatoes with a generous pinch of salt, small pinch of pepper and the olive oil. Stir then let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes then add cheese and basil. Season to taste with more salt and/or pepper then enjoy.