We just love this warmed red cabbage and apple salad recipe with dried cranberries, pecans and feta cheese. It’s versatile, too – you can add what you love. Instead of pecans, try walnuts or hazelnuts. Or, instead of cranberries – dried cherries, golden raisins or dried blueberries are wonderful. So many options.
How to Make an Easy Apple Salad Recipe with Red Cabbage
This salad comes together in no time. The cabbage and apples are lightly cooked in a frying pan with a little garlic and celery. You want the cabbage to wilt, but still have some crunch. It only takes a few minutes.
See how the cabbage has wilted, but still looks as though it has a little crunch?
Our Apple Cider Dressing is Perfect for Cabbage and Apple
One of our favorite homemade salad dressings is an apple cider vinaigrette. It’s very simple to make and is perfect to toss with our cabbage and apple salad. To make an apple cider dressing, combine Dijon mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil. Whisk and you’re done.
Toss the dressing with the cabbage and apple salad. Then, add crumbled feta cheese, dried cranberries and pecans. Serve warm or cover then refrigerate and serve cold. You can keep the salad in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
Did you like our Warm Cabbage and Apple Salad Recipe? If so, we bet you’ll love these:
- Fresh Fennel and Apple Salad Recipe from Inspired Taste
- Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage from Simply Recipes
- Lemon and Herb Couscous Salad Recipe from Inspired Taste
- Pecan Blue Cheese and Apple Salad with Dried Cherries from The Pioneer Woman
- Lime and Cabbage Salad Recipe with Roasted Peanuts from Smitten Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons light oil (canola, vegetable or olive oil)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery hearts (3-4 stalks)
- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 apple, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (suggestion: cherries, apricots, cranberries or raisins)
- 1/4 cup toasted nuts (suggestion: pecan halves, walnuts, pistachios)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add celery and cook for 2 minutes until the begin to brown. Add cabbage and garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add apple, cook for 1 minute. Add a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and stir then cook until the cabbage just begins to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the dressing by combining the mustard, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and honey.
- Add the cabbage and apple mixture to the dressing and toss to coat. Taste for seasoning and add salt to taste. Add dried fruit, nuts and feta cheese.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.