Baked sweet potato fries that are caramelized and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. No fryer needed here. Consider making a double batch, this one’s addictive.
You May Also Like our Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
Over the last few months, we’ve been careful to take note of the meals we make most often. We’ve shared some with you already (our Roasted Pork Tenderloin Recipe With Apples is one of them). These sweet potato fries are another. We make them all the time. Sometimes as a side for dinner, but most often as a snack. We both love dunking them into ketchup spiked with a little Sriracha or hot sauce.
They are very simple to make — time to cut the potatoes, olive oil, seasonings and a hot oven. Easy.
Our Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe — 35 Minutes or Less
To make our sweet potato fries, we toss thin sticks of sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper (you could also use coconut oil or lightly flavored oil). We keep them simple, but if you felt like it a pinch of cayenne, cumin or other seasoning would be a nice touch. Some even use cinnamon sugar.
After tossing, we scatter the fries over two hot baking sheets — we use two so the fries aren’t too close to each other. If they were, they would steam instead of baking and crisping up.
For more inspiration, you might enjoy taking a look at these Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries from Simply Recipes as well as Sally’s Baking Addiction’s version. For her sweet potato fries recipe, she uses cornstarch and keeps the fries in the oven (turned off) for about 30 minutes after baking to make them extra crispy.
Give These Vegetable Side Dishes a Look
- Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash
- Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- Our Everyday Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon
- Crispy Baked Portobello Fries
- Cheddar Roasted Broccoli
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Extra salt for sprinkling over baked fries (we like using flaky sea salt)
- Heat oven to 450º F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil then slide into the oven so they become hot.
- Prepare Sweet Potatoes: Scrub then cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch sticks.
- In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and the pepper.
- Tumble sweet potatoes onto hot baking sheets and spread into one layer. Try not to crowd them too much or else they will not brown.
- Bake Sweet Potato Fries: Bake fries, turning once and rotating pans once, until edges are lightly browned and centers are tender; 15 to 25 minutes. The fries are done when the surface looks dry and the fries have puffed up a little. Don’t fret if the edges become brown, they will taste more caramelized than burnt.
- Serve fries with a sprinkle of extra salt on top (if you have some, use a flaky sea salt for this, it adds a nice touch).
We use kosher salt. If you don’t have it on hand, keep this in mind: 1 teaspoon fine sea or table salt = about 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt.