Easy Flatbread Pizza
Flatbread pizza is perfect for busy meal times. Make this quick and easy pizza with homemade or store-bought flatbread and your favorite pizza toppings. Jump to the Quick and Easy Flatbread Pizza Recipe or read on to see our tips for making it.
Most grocery stores sell pre-made flatbread, which will work nicely in this recipe. If you have the time, though, we highly recommend making your own flatbread. We have two straight-forward recipes you might want to consider:
- Our Garlic Flatbread Recipe is made with yeast, flour, olive oil, and water. Since there is yeast in the recipe, you will need just less than two hours to make them. They are soft and fluffy in the middle and work beautifully as a pizza base.
- This quicker Soft and Fluffy Flatbread Recipe is made without yeast and takes about 30 minutes. Instead of yeast, we call for baking powder. The recipe is simple and perfect for making flatbread pizza.
Once you have the flatbread, you’ll need to choose your favorite pizza toppings. For us, that means a simple combination of tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil, and a little oregano. I especially love this whenever tomatoes are in season. I’m game on for anything that uses tomato or basil (see our easy Caprese salad, this tomato bruschetta, and this cherry tomato and feta salad).
How to Make Flatbread Pizza
I prefer to start with precooked flatbread when making pizza, which is why this recipe is so flexible. Remember, you can use store-bought or homemade.
If you are making your own homemade flatbread, you may be wondering why you can’t just add the pizza toppings to the flatbread dough.
Well, you can, but after trying it both ways (starting with uncooked dough and using precooked flatbreads), we’ve found that we prefer the texture when we add the pizza toppings to cooked flatbread. The bottom of the flatbread gets a little crisp and the middle stays soft.
I also love the fact that since we are calling for cooked flatbread, if you do plan to make your own bread, you can do so a day or two in advance.
To make the pizza, simply lay flatbread out onto a baking sheet and top with your desired pizza toppings. Slide the baking sheet into a 425 degree Fahrenheit oven and bake until the toppings are heated through and if you have added cheese, it’s bubbly and melted. This usually takes between 10 and 15 minutes.
Here are some pizza topping suggestions:
- Olive oil brushed onto the flatbread and topped with sliced tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and mozzarella. Season with salt, pepper, and a little dried oregano.
- Spread ricotta cheese over the flatbread and top with spinach leaves and/or fresh basil. Season with salt, pepper, and a little lemon zest.
- Spread pizza sauce over the flatbread and top with your favorite pizza toppings. If you add meat, make sure that it is cooked first.
- Spread creme fraîche or mascarpone cheese over the flatbread and top with caramelized onions, cooked mushrooms, and a little fresh thyme.
More Easy Recipes
- Easy Weeknight Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- Easy Garlic Mushroom Pasta
- Easy Weeknight Taco Soup
- Quick and Easy Avocado Pasta
Easy Flatbread Pizza
Make this quick and easy pizza with homemade or store-bought flatbread and your favorite pizza toppings. Most grocery stores sell pre-made flatbread, which will work nicely in this recipe. If you have the time, we highly recommend making your own flatbread. We have two straight-forward recipes you might want to consider: Garlic Flatbread (calls for yeast and takes 1 to 2 hours) or this Soft Fluffy Flatbread (without yeast and takes 30 minutes). Both are excellent.
The recipe below shares how to make a Margherita-style flatbread pizza. Feel free to add or remove toppings. If you plan to add meat or hearty vegetables, it’s best to cook them first.
You Will Need
2 flatbread, 6 to 8 inches in diameter
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
8 fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet large enough to fit both flatbreads with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Brush or rub the olive oil over the bread. Layer the sliced mozzarella, basil leaves, and the sliced tomatoes on top. Season liberally with salt, fresh ground pepper, and the oregano.
Bake the pizza until the cheese us bubbling and starting to turn light brown in spots, 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve, cut into slices, with an extra drizzle of olive oil and a few more fresh basil leaves that have been torn into smaller pieces scattered on top.
Adam and Joanne's Tips
- Add garlic: Mince 1 clove of garlic and spread onto the flatbread before adding the sliced cheese, basil and tomatoes.
- Nutrition facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values. Our soft and fluffy flatbread recipe was used for the calculations.